Sunday, February 14, 2010

THE ship wheel lamp!

This is a birthday card I made for one of my very best friends, Simon. It has a really funny story behind it, so I decided to share. Last summer, Simon and I were at a little antique store in Park Slope called "Under the Pig." Outside, glinting in the sunshine was a little lamp. A ship wheel was attached to it, and the chain linked through the wheel so that when you turned it, the lamp clicked on. The lampshade had a nautical sailboat scene on it. It had some nicks and tears on it, but it added to that charm of being a very loved object. Simon was instantly enamored with it, but the price tag was a bit steep, so he reluctantly put it back among the china plates and dusty books in the store's display. A week later, he rushed back, having changed his mind, but the little ship wheel lamp was gone. I searched on ebay for it's equal, but was unsuccessful. So I made this drawing instead to keep the memory of that little lamp alive. I'm pleased with it, and I think Simon liked it too!

1 comment:

Cassandra said...

AH! The infamous ship wheel lamp! Great drawing.